- Hazelwood School District
- District Homepage
Statement on Jana Elementary Next Steps
October 19, 2022
Statement on Jana Next Steps
Hazelwood School District’s top priority is providing a safe environment, free from distractions and disruptions, in which we can educate our children and in which our staff can work.
Last evening the Hazelwood School Board engaged in discussions with our administration, engineer consultant, and legal counsel regarding Jana Elementary.
The Board has agreed that the Hazelwood School District is moving forward with the following next steps regarding Jana Elementary at this time:
- The administration will move forward with Jana Elementary converting to all virtual instruction for the remainder of the first semester of the 2022/2023 school year, (using the Hazelwood Connect Model with teachers at an alternative District school) until details regarding redistricting current Jana Elementary students have been completed.
- The two Jana Pre-k classrooms will remain in person, but will be transferred to Barrington Elementary effective Monday, October 24.
- The administration will review redistricting options to be put in place prior to the second semester of the 2022/2023 school year, with a target of November 28 for students and staff to report to redistricted schools, if feasible.
- Parents and staff will be officially notified on Wednesday, October 19 of the transition to all virtual instruction to become effective Monday, October 24, and the district’s plans to redistrict Jana Elementary students into current schools by November 28 if feasible, but no later than the beginning of the second semester of 2022-2023 school year.
- During the week of November 14-18, parents and staff will receive final notifications of new school assignments. (Notifications will be provided earlier if the information is available.)
- Parent and staff meetings will be held for the Jana parents and staff over the next few weeks to provide additional information and respond to questions.
- On November 28, the first day of the week we return from Fall Break and Thanksgiving, students and staff will report to their redistricted schools.
The Hazelwood School District Board of Education will be working with our legal counsel to communicate to the appropriate agencies responsible, the necessity to immediately clean up and remediate any and all hazardous waste at Jana Elementary and any other District sites. In addition, the Board is also authorizing a study of Jana and any places made aware of need.
To the students, staff and parents of the Jana School Community—We recognize that you are being faced with a situation not created by anyone in this District, over which you have no control, and that this is causing a disruption to our students’ education and school climate. For that we sincerely apologize. Please know that Hazelwood School District will work hand-in-hand with you to provide the support that is needed as we transition through these very difficult times.
As always, thank you for all you do to support Hazelwood School District and for your commitment to the well-being of the Jana Elementary School and school community.