Employee COVID-19 Testing/Vaccination Program
To: All Staff
From: Keith Bausman, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources
Date: September 10, 2021
Subject: COVID-19 Mandatory Testing or Vaccination Program
On 9-7-2021, the Hazelwood School District Board of Education issued a directive to require every employee to undergo weekly COVID-19 testing or to be exempted through COVID-19 vaccination. Our deadline for employees to submit their verification of vaccination status is the close of business on October 22, 2021. Beginning the week of 10-25-2021, employees that do not have a vaccination exemption must submit to weekly testing. To be considered fully vaccinated an employee must have completed the following:
- 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
- 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine
All Hazelwood employees, Kelly Educational Services staff, SSD employees in Hazelwood sites, LGC Hospitality substitutes, university student teacher placements, supplemental agencies, and other applicable groups must comply with this Board of Education directive. We will continue to update our COVID-19 mitigation strategies, procedures, and requirements in line with future guidance from all pertinent government agencies/authorities.
The Board of Education has also authorized that during the 6-week initial vaccination submission window to become vaccinated for testing exemption, if a staff member chooses to get vaccinated, they may utilize vaccination leave that is not charged to compensable leave, up to 2 days per vaccination injection. Booster vaccinations are not included. The process for these vaccination leave days will be the same as the COVID-19 leave process. A vaccination leave form MUST be completed and returned to firstname.lastname@example.org. Employees should select the “emergency sick leave” option in Frontline when entering a vaccination-related absence. These days are not retroactive for previous vaccinations. This leave is only applicable to Hazelwood School District Employees.
Weekly COVID-19 Testing Tracking:
- Employees that are not vaccinated will be required to complete a COVID-19 test, once per week, on the employees own time outside of work hours. Employees shall test in the prior week to allow sufficient time to secure their testing results for submission before entering their work locations on Monday morning of the following week.
- A list of COVID-19 testing sites that provide COVID-19 testing will be posted at each work location. Employees should familiarize themselves with the turnaround time for test results in order to comply with district expectations.
- Employees will be required to complete a COVID-19 test at a COVID-19 testing site, and provide a testing result with an indication of being COVID-19 negative, before entering their work locations on Monday morning of each week. The employee shall provide the result to their supervisor through a Testing Results Weekly Notification Portal. A link to the portal will be sent out in a future notification. COVID-19 home testing kit results will not be accepted.
- If there is a cost for the COVID-19 testing, the employee will be responsible for paying that cost. The district will not incur an expense for the employee COVID-19 testing.
- If a COVID-19 test result indicates a positive result, then the employee will be subjected to the district’s contact tracing and quarantine protocols.
- If an employee is not exempted from weekly COVID-19 testing due to their COVID-19 vaccine status, and has NOT undergone their required/mandated weekly COVID-19 test, then they must be sent home.
COVID-19 Vaccination Tracking:
- Employees who choose to become vaccinated must do so on their own time outside of work hours, or they may utilize vaccination leave for initial vaccination. The deadline for employees to complete a vaccination series or begin to submit to weekly testing is by the end of business on October 22, 2021.
- By the end of the 6-week window, the employee must upload their completed COVID-19 vaccine card to the HSD Initial COVID-19 Vaccine Confirmation Portal. The link will be sent in a future communication next Friday 9-17-2021.
- From the initial submissions and through the HSD initial COVID-19 vaccine confirmation portal, human resources will review submissions and provide a complete list to all supervisors of which staff will be exempted from weekly COVID-19 testing due to their vaccination status.
- The HSD initial COVID-19 vaccine confirmation portal will close on Friday, October 22, 2021, at 4:30 pm. Future updates from employees on their vaccination status shall be sent directly to the benefits team at email@example.com.
- The list of those exempt from weekly COVID-19 testing will be monitored, maintained, and updated by the human resource department with any new submissions accessible to supervisors.
- Falsification of testing or vaccination documentation will result in immediate disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Employees may utilize their accumulated compensable time if they are sent home due to a lack of any necessary COVID-19 testing or vaccination documentation.
- If an employee is sent home due to lack of necessary COVID-19 testing or vaccination documentation, and an employee’s compensable time is exhausted, then the absence is considered leave without pay.
Employee will be subjected to progressive discipline for cumulative absences in defiance of the directive. At five days of cumulative absences in non-compliance of this Board of Education directive, an employee will be submitted to human resources to begin termination processes.
Copy of the actual Mandatory Employee COVID-19 Testing Vaccination Program letter.