HIGH SCHOOL GIFTED PROGRAM
In 2018, Hazelwood School District added the High School Gifted Specialist teacher position. This teacher provides the following services to high school students who meet the district’s gifted criteria*:
- Provides services targeting the social/emotional needs of identified gifted students
- Establishes job shadowing and mentoring opportunities through the selection, planning, and scheduling of college entrance exams
- Researches, plans, and schedules educational options such as dual credit courses, distance learning, correspondence courses, and planning
- Assists with post-secondary school research and/or selection, admissions procedures, and completing scholarship applications
- Works with regular classroom teachers and modify regular classroom curriculum to meet the needs of identified gifted students
- Supports goal setting, educational plan development, and monitors student achievement
The high school gifted specialist has at least 150 minutes of availability at each school twice a week. The specialist is also available to provide services at the Opportunity Center.
*Note: The District’s gifted criteria is aligned to Missouri’s Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s (DESE) guidelines.